Friday, February 27, 2009

I don't hate men!!!!111

I'm so tired of being expected to say this after informing someone that I am a feminist. I also tire of having to explain that no, being a feminist does not mean that you hate men.

You know what, though? Sometimes I kind of do hate men.

THERE. I SAID IT.

Draw me, quarter me, feed me to the wolves---but never say I lied to you.

I'm jealous of the power they hold, and furious that half the time they refuse to even acknowledge it--rather, they try to convince us that sexism and misogyny are all in our pretty little heads. As if our female-ness is somehow reality-proof. (Oh, if only.) And it WORKS.

Men do this in varying degrees, and nearly always without even thinking about it. Some are more overt than others, but the basic mentality remains the same. That's why I'm so skeptical of those odd creatures known as male feminists. Don't get me wrong, I'm not denying their existence nor their beliefs. (I'm also pretty sure ghosts exist, and possibly Bigfoot as well.)

"But Chai Latte, how could you?" you ask. "Men are victims of the patriarchy, too!"

Yeah, sure. But they're complacent--they benefit too much from the patriarchal system to really be motivated to change very much. No matter how much they might love us, they're not going to change the system unless it benefits THEM to do so. And guess what? That hurts. And pain leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to....oh crap, I fucked that one up. Look, I haven't seen Star Wars in about ten years, okay? Leave me alone.

Though the thought of someone force-choking Rush Limbaugh or any of his ilk has serious entertainment potential.

No comments: